Saturday, March 1, 2008

Springtime pick me up...

This is the hardest time of year for me. I know alot of you share my angst. It is still freezing up in the north and somewhat chilly in the South and the West. In any case there are a few tricks I incorporate into my life this time of year. First, I like to take frequent trips to Greenhouses and Conservatories. Many local nurseries sport greenhouses with wonderful plants available to take home. There are magnificent public Greenhouses and Conservatories that are always worth a visit. A few on the top of my list are the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston, The Greenhouse at Smith College in North Hampton and The Conservatory at the New York Botanical Gardens, in the Bronx.
I have found much pleasure in walking and basking in the springlike environment each of these spots has to offer. Especially in February.


When I lived on my farm in Malibu every year on February 12th or so the 100's of Daffodils would be blooming and the Red Wing Blackbirds would return. It always brought such joy.



I had a wonderful little bird sanctuary/garden sited in the area outside the kitchen windows. What a joy to cook, wash vegetables or bake a cake and be serenaded by their throaty songs and exuberant behavior. The Red Wing Blackbirds have a gurgly quality to their songs, which I enjoy immensely.

I believe spring is one of the most welcomed seasons. To bring some spring into your home try Primrose, Cyclamen, Hydrangea and Orchids. It is fun to use different Containers, Cache Pots and Troughs. Sometimes I like to put them under a glass cloche. If you look around you may find an interesting Urn or Antique Terrarium and go Victorian!




Remember, plants are living things. They respond to light and the energy of the house. Simple to keep alive, really. Water once per week, thoroughly in the sink. Indirect bright light is usually optimum for healthy growth and a happy existence. Spring brought in a little early can cure those end of the winter blues. Today in Maine it is snowing, again, we have had over 100 inches this season. I won't be the only one to rejoice when Spring arrives. Brrrrr. But oh those Daffodils smell so fresh on the mantle!

No comments: