Monday, March 10, 2008

Estate Sale or Tag Sale?

I think I have been in the midst of the longest running Estate Sale ever or at least it feels like it! I am moving from Maine to North Carolina. I like “Stuff” and have collected alot of it. Luckily many years ago I adopted the motto of “Live with what you love, and is truly beautiful”. So fortunately I do not have junk. I love Antiques. Furniture, Mirrors, Art, Pottery, Platters, Ironstone, Silver plates, Trays, and Candlesticks. I have spent decades collecting them from many different places around the country.
When I decided to leave my 23 year marriage and relocate I thought long and hard about what I wanted my new life to look like. Having a such a large collection does not reflect the side of me that is striving to be free. I would like to be able to travel on a moments notice, to live in a smaller space and not have the responsibility of managing my collection. My thought was this; stuff takes time, energy, thought and a willing person to manage a collection. I am no longer willing. My new motto is “Less is enough”.
So let’s get back to the intention of this article. What is the difference between a Tag Sale and an Estate Sale? Simple. An Estate Sale typically has items and objects that a person has accumulated in a lifetime, usually the person is going to a Rest Home or is no longer living. A Tag Sale may have a few antiques and collectibles but mostly it is average stuff that people just do not want or can no longer use.

I have marketed this sale in an interesting way. I first invited my friends who like the same type of things. I then invited a slew of antique dealers. I then had a general open to the public Estate Sale. The first day of my official Estate Sale was on my birthday in January. I thought it interesting to have an Estate Sale while alive, cognizant and in the middle of life. I feel like I am giving myself permission to have a second life. A life filled with more spirit, memories and authentic living.



I had the downstairs of my home filled with items for sale. I am down to one room of beautiful objects for sale. Yeah! Look closely at the photos, I have photographed what is left for sale. I will add a few common Garden Items, and Household items and re-invent my Estate Sale into a Tag Sale. It will be held in a few weeks. Then I am off for the next chapter or is it a new book, of my life. It will be an adventure. I am leaving 20 days from today. I am nervous, excited, happy and sad. I keep reminding myself, no matter where you go, there you are. I am a happy person and will be satisfied with the journey. I live life in the present, and the present is always a gift.

If you see anything you are interested in, send me an email or call 207 653 9334.

No comments: