Monday, March 24, 2008

Perfume: Ooh LaLa...

I am almost out of my perfume. Gasp! Rest assured I will place my order after I post this article. From a very young age I was aware of fragrance. More specifically my parents personal smell. My Mother smelled like Faberge's Aphrodesia and my Father always left the imprint of Old Spice. In my mind you choose a fragrance and stick with it. I ascribe to this way of thinking.

Personal fragrance has been popular since the beginning of time. People used to use cologne or scented waters to keep a fresh smell about them. The fragrances were heavy and strong, because in the day it masked an unwashed body. Colognes and Perfumes were derived from natural Essences and Oils extracted from plants and flowers. Perfume making has not really changed all that much. However many fragrances are chemically produced. The big drawback with this process is that often times this type of cologne can cause allergic reactions headaches and such and not smell as nice or linger on your skin as long. When I was a teenager and in my 20's I always wore the classic fragrance called Shalimar. It was light and flowery but not cloying. Later I switched to Antonia's Flowers which was created by a florist from East Hampton New York. This fragrance had notes of Freesia and Citrus. Peppery/Spice with a hint of sweetness. But several years ago I switched to Melodie. It has a different dimension than my past fragrances. However it shares both of the qualities. I love it. People often stop and ask what kind of perfume are you wearing? That is when you know it is a perfume that creates a divine alchemy with the individual chemistry of your body. This past year I had to find a new Fragonard fragrance, they had stopped making Melodie, I now spray on Capucine, similar and smells great. I visited the Parfume House of Fragonard in Grasse, France back in 2003. This little town in the Cote' De Azur is known for perfume making. People have been buying their parfume from the many manufacturers in Grasse for centuries. I was lucky enough to take the tour and saw the Perfume making process from beginning to end. Very scientific, and most of the creative work is done in a bright white lab by Alchemist's of the first order! What a delight. Fragonard creates all of the scents for Chanel and Guerlain to name a few. Most of the Fragonard's perfume's essential oils are derived from the flowers and plants that grow in Southern France. Specifically in and around the town of Grasse. The gardens and fields of flowers surrounding this town are breath taking. Absolutely wonderful. Consider this, do you have a signature fragrance? Are you looking for a change? Has your body chemistry changes? Should you think of a new twist in how you smell? All fun questions with really fun answers. Go to your local Department Store, try a few be brave and have fun. All of the stores have paper strips to spray the fragrance onto. Bring a Coffee Bean and in between sniffs take a whiff of your bean. It cleanses your nose so you can smell all the nuances the high notes and base notes. When trying different perfumes make sure that your choices are derived from natural oils, this is where the sales person will be able to help you to discern which is what. Remember to always buy Toilet Water or Perfume. These have more oils and less water. They will stay with you most of the day. Cologne is fleeting fragrance there for just a moment and then poof it is gone. Have fun and take a friend for an extra opinion and a good time. Enjoy, Jolie'!

No comments: