Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Roses, A Few Top Picks...

I love Roses and I delight in a garden filled with them. It is fun to fill the house with their graceful beauty and wonderful fragrance.I was thinking, Hmmm what are some of my top picks? The following are easy to grow and terrific performers. I particularly like the English and Antique Roses. However I have been known to slide in a few hybrids. Sometimes it is hard to resist the modern variety for their sheer beauty. Although the fragrance often times is not as strong or as richly scented as the older varieties.










This wonderful Rose is called Brass Band. A modern and heavy bloomer. One of Oprah's signature Roses!



This Apricot beauty is called Lady Emma Hamilton, it is a David Austin Rose. I love it for the fragrance, color and easy care. It only blooms prolifically twice a season, but worth the space.




Golden Celebration, indeed. A lovelier Rose is hard to find. Hearty, disease resistant and a good performer. At times it seems to be a bit of a show off in the garden. This beauty also has a terrific, slightly fruity fragrance.







Carefree Wonder is the perfect name for this non-conforming Rose. This gets to be bushy and big, I like to pair it with Rosemary and Lavender. It can grow on hillsides and other wild areas in your garden. It needs to be left alone to do its thing. Not a great cut flower and not terrifically fragrant. However this Rose is a real workhorse and performs most of the season.






Another David Austin Rose. English Garden. This Rose lives up to its name. It is a good performer, and smells yummy. Love it. I like to walk through my Rose Garden in the mornings and snap off a few Blooms, set them on the dashboard of my car and let the sunshine heat them up to release their fragrance all day long. At the end of the day I have a perfectly dried Rose to set in the large ongoing plate or bowl of Rose heads that sit on various tabletops around my home.

No comments: