Friday, March 7, 2008

Clam Shells Make Perfect Pathways...

I grew up in Southern California and going to the beach was a way of life. When I was a young girl my favorite beach was in Palos Verdes, we called it Rocky Beach.



It was always so cool picking around in the tidal pools and looking at Sea Urchins, Starfish, and Sea Anenomes. I truly loved those days.


I still go to the seashore, it is one of my personal sacred spots. I have spent the last seven Summers on the coast of Maine.



The beaches are filled with washed up Mussel shells and giant Clam shells. I love to walk on the sand and listen to the tide, as it makes its daily turn from high to low or low to high. The ocean is magic and heady stuff! I decided this past summer to be creative with my Clam Shells and Heart Rocks and they became the newest addition to my front path. The path had been Pea Gravel and Mussel Shells with some Sea Glass thrown in. Changing up the path seemed like it would be a fun and easy project, and it was! So I went down to the Sea several times a week and walked the shore, bucket in hand. I have this funny little cobalt blue bucket that I use to hold the seashells. These shells also look great in pots around the plants, and they also become a mulch layer which helps to keep the moisture in. Have fun and be creative, the path to your home is the first place people walk into your personal space. Is your front path special and uniquely yours? Go ahead be brave, have fun and use your imagination.

No comments: