Sunday, February 10, 2008

My Three Top "Organize Your Home" Books...

I love to organize things. Whether it is a drawer, closet or a whole kitchen. I like the ease of locating whatever it is, when I need it. I know it can be difficult in our harried lives, but can I tell you, I do not spend time looking for anything. Many years ago when I lived on my farm in California I was semi organized. In January of 1994 the big earthquake hit. I guess the shock of seeing everything everywhere jump started me into wanting everything in its place. I remember clearly that moment in time. I have since made it a habit to make sure everything is where it should be. I love my closet, if I need a white shirt, or black jacket, my closet is organized by color so finding what I need only takes a glance. This also helps me to see what I wear the most and what I rarely, if ever wear. (The "one year rule" kicks in) It is a breeze and a pleasure to get dressed. In my Bathroom I have my silver basket of bling. See my Blog posting "Bling on my Counter" Jan.16th. Everything is where I can see it. I find I actually wear my jewelry more often. But I have the most fun organizing my kitchen. It was from the book "A Place for Everything" by Peri Wolfman and Charles Gold that I pulled the foundation of my organizational ideas. Wolfman & Gold inspired me to not only organize, but to display my items in a beautiful way. In the kitchen I use silver vases, antique celery vases, and beakers all together on a colorful tray. They are abundantly filled with silverware, cooking utensils and all of the other items I use on a daily basis. They are displayed in a cool way and easy to see at a glance. Allowing me to see exactly what I will need for the task at hand.



Another great book is Storage and Display published by The Pottery Barn. This photo filled gem is packed with lots of great applications for interesting and sometimes surprising ways to use common items like Bookcases, Credenzas and Armoires. My third favorite book is Real Simple's, The Organized Home. This clever book is packed with great ideas on shelving, closets, drawers and garages. While this book is not poetic, it is highly practical and well thought out. So if you are serious about being an organized gal, this trio of books are must haves. You will find yourself referring to them time and time again. Now for the upside of an organized living space. You will not believe the time dividends that you can cash in if you invest your time on the front end just by getting organized. Think of all of those hours you will have to be even more productive or maybe you can use your gift of time and sip on a cool drink while reading in your hammock. Remember, your time is valuable. You can do this and yes it really is that easy. How do you think I get so much done? Easy, I spend zero time looking for stuff!
Get cracking. These books are available at Amazon.com.

No comments: