Thursday, February 7, 2008

Flowers Under Glass...

I discovered an interesting trick to making my flower arrangements last longer. It was quite by accident. I have a fondness for glass cloches. (see Blog Listing- Jan.12th- Cloches...Objects Under Glass)
I was fooling around with the arrangement of objects on my Thanksgiving table.





The rose under glass was inspired by the book "Little Prince" written by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. In the story a precious and finicky rose is an overprotected jewel and the glass cloche kept the rose warm at night. I decided I would do the same and really make this little yellow rose a stand-out. It worked. I loved the look and how it made the table feel. It stepped it up a notch. Sometimes an inspiration or amusement can lead to doing something differently and can even change how the object is viewed and thought about. An interesting thing happened. My findings amazed me, that little rose lasted 2 weeks under glass. I had other roses in different vases on that same table only last one week. Sometimes I feel like my home is one big laboratory and I am a scientist!
A few top tips would be:
1. Add a splash of bleach in the water, to keep the water crystal clear. You should do this in all of your arrangements, if you don't already. 2.Choose a small and sweet vase, remember a cloche makes everything look even more interesting and special.
3.Set coins or a two small folded pieces of paper opposite under the edge of the base of the cloche. This will allow a bit of fresh air to filter through. 4.Do not set in a sunny place. It will act as a terrarium and steam up the glass. Give it a try. Cloches are fun and magical. Yo can pick them up at Home Goods, TJ Maxx and select gift stores.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that's a gorgeous way of displaying fresh flowers