Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Sunday Dinner? Easy as 1, 2, 3...


Sunday Dinner. Seems so retro and Grandma but can I tell you, it is a wonderful quiet event. Sunday is traditionally a day of rest. In this day and age we could use a bit more of that. I think it is important to break bread and share a meal with people that we care about. Family, Friends, Neighbors and fellow community members.
I like to cook a meal that is easy but tastes great, yeah who doesn't right? My favorite dish is a roasted Chicken. I learned how to cook the chicken this way when I was in Provence. Yumm. Tyler Florence a cook who totally inspires me also has some great roasting tips take a moment to check out his thoughts and ideas on his website. Here is my method ... Sunday morning I go to the market and pick up everything I will need for dinner. My preference is an 8 lb. Organic/Hormone Free Roasting Chicken. (If you have not tried the Organic Chickens, you should, the taste is truly superior, and it is better for your overall future health.)
I usually will make a fresh salad and have Asparagas or Haricot Vert as a side dish.
The Chicken is simple. Get out your big roasting pan, rinse your chicken, grab a lemon, squeeze juice onto outside of the chicken. Throw the lemon halves into the cavity. Chop up some fresh Rosemary, Sage and Thyme, scatter and then add pepper, and ground garlic. If you want a super moist bird add a 1/2 cup of White Wine into the bottom of the pan, the meat will be succulent. You then cook the bird at 375 for about 2 hours, use your meat thermometer to make sure it is done. Pull it out of the oven and you have Sunday Dinner, Chicken Salad on Monday and Chicken soup on Tuesday. This bird just keeps on giving.
Hopefully you are inspired to make this a happening tradition at your house.

No comments: