Saturday, December 29, 2007

Winter Garden Structure




Winter gardens can be as magical as a garden in the Summer. I like to think that every season has its virtue. Winter brings out the structure in any garden. I create Allee's whenever I can. In the Summer they can be dripping with Roses, Hops, Grapes or Wisteria.



In the Winter they add interest and are an important focal point when all of the plants have gone dormant. If you live in a snowy climate, Arbors, Allee's, Trellis' and Fencing gives the snow something to cloak itself upon. Making the garden look like a Winter Wonderland. Blue is the signature color for structures in many of my gardens.



This shade of Blue is strong and vibrant in the winter and playful and fanciful as the backdrop for many varieties of vines and climbers in the summer. The structure also defines the space. The other important structure I consider when designing a garden are trees and shrubs. Evergreen and deciduous both have a place in the garden. Note the Crab Apple still has the red fruit hanging on the branches. In January a small flock of Robin's usually stops by and spends the day in the small orchard I have planted in my side yard. They are delightful and remind me that spring is just around the corner.

No comments: