Sunday, December 23, 2007

Making Herb Vinegar is as Easy as 1.2.3.




When I was first working in the Home and Lifestyle field, I was inspired by many talented Authors and Creators of Design, Herb, Garden, Cooking, Entertaining, DIY, and Crafting books. One book taught me how to make Herb Vinegars. I no longer have the book but I remember the title, "Fancy Pantry". What an eye-opener it was to find out how easy the process was.



I was under the impression it took alot of time and effort to create these beauties. I have come to love the lingering effects of making this treat.When I open a bottle of my vinegar I think of the long summer days, the heady smell of Thyme, Rosemary and Dill. I grow organically so I know what is going into each bottle.
I have always delighted in making this seasonal treat and in giving it for Holiday gifts. (When I was younger I used to sell it at Christmas fairs and Boutiques.)
So here is the 411 on making vinegar in no time at all. During the year save your clear wine bottles,soak off the labels in advance. I also pick up bottles during the year if they are a good price point and lovely I will pick up a few. When Autumn arrives I usually have a good collection. The next item is herbs. You can grow your herbs, pick them up at a farmers market or in the organic aisle at your favorite market. Rinse them well and set aside. I sterilize the bottles by filling them with boiling water from my teapot. I let the water cool a bit, and dump out. (You can put this water into your watering cans,to water your plants with.) I then place the smallest herbs into the bottle, I start with one or a combination of Thyme, Marjoram or Basil. I then add tall stems of Rosemary. I use a chopstick to get the herbs arranged artfully. Beauty does matter. Sometimes I will put a sliced Anaheim Chili, or a few cloves of Garlic. Next grab a funnel and fill to the bottle to the top with Vinegar. Now pop the cork in and you are ready to let steep for a few weeks. After it has steeped, add a ribbon and voila, the perfect present. Your friends will enjoy your thoughtful and clever gift!

No comments: