Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Nests & Nature, Oh the wonder of it all...

I am a huge fan of the natural world. I fell in love with the outdoors as a child. My passion and devotion has deepened with the years. I love to walk on the beach and pick up shells, big clamshells, mussels and sand dollars. I also love to collect rolled stones that are perfect and beautiful from being tumbled by the tides and the sand. There is another treasure I find on the shore, heart rocks. Yes, you can find rocks that are in perfect shapes of hearts. I know this because I have quite a collection gathered from many different walks on various seashores around the country. They grace my front walkway, sharing space with large clamshells. Every time I walk to my front door I am
reminded of those warm languid summertime walks on the beach.
I am a gardener and observer of nature. Being involved with the seasons so intimately is the key to keeping in tune with the natural world around us. Out in my garden I find many types of feathers and once in a while an abandoned little bird’s nest. I like to display these perfectly woven treasures on silver platters, pedestals and even under glass cloches. They delight me. Often times I will put stones that are shaped like eggs in the nest, or a miniature white pumpkin, an inscribed stone with a message and once in a while faux eggs may even find themselves part of one of my homage to the birds and to nature. When friends come to my home they are enchanted with a close-up look of a piece of nature. It is displayed artfully with a sense of reverence and most of the time with an edge of humor.

I rarely come back from a walk without some little treasure to pull out of my pocket. In the Spring and Autumn like to explore in the forest. I often find beautiful pinecones, colorful and/or fragrant leaves, acorns and the random feather or interesting little rock. Sometimes it is enough to photograph, other times I will carefully and responsibly take a bit of this or that, for my various displays, homage’s and odes to the seasons.













Nature is all around us. Understanding the seasons, the tides and the cycles of life is a magic part of living here on this earth. I like to enjoy each moment. I think I am happiest looking at my funny, odd and interesting collection of found nature objects. So get out, take a walk and really observe what is around you. The magic of nature is just outside your door.

No comments: