Friday, August 8, 2008

Uptown, Living in the City...

Living in Uptown Charlotte is always filled with surprises. I usually walk around the city in the earlier morning hours and photograph the light and clouds playing with the skyscrapers. Uptown is all about up. On my walks I am delighted by the unexpected path that leads to a courtyard or a cacophony of song and sound from the birdies nesting in the trees near the Discovery Museum. It is joyful to observe so much nature in such an urban environment. It is interesting to try and understand each architect, their design decisions, shapes, materials and placement of these tall buildings and how they play with the light as well as there actual siting and impact with the other buildings and the overall skyline.
It is also remarkable that the city planners did consider people and how they interface with the city in a keenly aware and conscious way. They have made it a requirement for developers to add art and public spaces to each building and parking structures. (Surprising for any city!) Charlotte is a very livable and walkable city.
Many of the photographs in the slide show are taken from my 24Th floor Loft on the balcony. Usually in the late afternoon or during the sunrise.
Click on arrow to view
slide show of Uptown Charlotte.



I have been living in the clouds since late Spring and I am enjoying the sense of air & light. I love watching the birds soar past my window at the end of the day, I am sure they are off to important spots to roost for the evening.
Watching the city change as day slips into night, and night to day is an event. I am lucky enough to have friends over to share that sunset time of day we unwind and hang out. It is so cool to live high in the sky surrounded by the impact of man and nature!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was a lovely slideshow...I know...I've been to your balcony.
I've enjoyed the view.