Monday, May 12, 2008

Wing Haven Garden


Some gardens can be mysterious and magical. I visited The Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary on a recent Saturday morning. I was transported back to a gentler time, when folks gardened with a passion. The couple who created this garden spent decades adding new areas and garden rooms.







Wing Haven has many varieties of Shrubs, Trees, Roses, Herbs and Perennials that form a dense canopy and undergrowth for the many birds who call this garden home. I was reminded of Rosemary Verey's garden at Barnsley House in England. Rosemary was a magnificent designer I had met in England and her gardens were magic and very photogenic. I loved the way the paths in her garden interconnected and created a never ending garden stroll! (Rosemary was Prince Charles Garden Designer) Eddie and Elizabeth Clarkson had a dream and it was to create a garden that would become a sanctuary for birds and fellow gardeners and friends. Lovely, indeed. Creating a garden that fed all of the senses is tricky business and requires a strong vision, passion, time, money and patience. Patience to plant a small tree and understand it's eventual standing in the space in which it lives.It was pure joy to walk in this garden. I was delighted as I strolled down the garden path each curve providing a new view, a water feature or a seating area. Pure alchemy. The sound of water from a fountain, wind rustling in the leaves above, and birdies, yes birdies everywhere, darting in the canopy above or the hedgerow beyond. Sheer heaven. I will be back to visit this little slice of heaven often.




FMI: Log onto www.winghavengardens.com the gardens are located in the Myers Park area of Charlotte and are truly worth the visit, most anytime of year. Wing Haven Garden and Bird Sanctuary is open to the public several days a week.

CLICK ON SLIDESHOW OF WINGHAVEN GARDEN

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Karen, nice job on this - the photography is beautiful. Very nice lighting indeed!

Khan said...

Hi Karen, when I come to visit, I would love to see this place...sounds and looks beautiful.

I believe the link you gave to WingHaven Gardens is a .com instead of a .org.

The Airee looks wonderful and I am glad you are nestling in!

Lynn O