Friday, September 26, 2008

Turning Your Home Over to Autumn...


I LOVE Autumn. The sun is at a low pitch in the sky and the light seems to sparkle through the windows as it reaches deeper into our homes. It always reminds me that winter is not far behind. Autumn is a fleeting season filled with magical colored leaves that are jewel-like and create a perfect contrast to the extra blue Autumn sky backdrop.


Driving past all of the garden centers and farm stands filled to full with Chrysanthemum's, Pumpkins, Gourds and various varieties of Squash and other bounties of the season always inspires me. This time of year I turn my spaces over to Autumn and create still-life's reflecting the magic of the season.
After the first hard frost it is always fun to go out into the woods and abandoned fields and collect Bittersweet vines, Acorns and Moss. I love to make Bittersweet wreaths and fill little silver bowls with Acorns lying majestically on a soft bed of Moss. The next major holiday is more than a month away and it has to do with Candy, Witches, Costumes and Pumpkins turned into Jack o' Lanterns. Embracing the next 30 days that embody the alchemy of the season is a tradition I re-visit year after year, it feeds my spirit.
Inside our homes it is time to get out our comfy throws, and deep jewel colored table linens, and warm throw rugs. Decorating by the season keeps me in touch with the inevitable cycle of the Earth it is true alchemy. If you have not embraced seasonal decorating yet, give it a whirl and see if you don't feel the magic. I always do and that explains the perpetual smile on my face!

No comments: