Friday, July 11, 2008

A Garden of Roses...


Nothing makes me happier than walking through a garden of Roses. The fragrance is intoxicating. Spicy, sweet and sometimes even a light note of citrus. Yummmm. Roses of are at their very best in the early days of summer and early days of fall. But do not discount them from your repertoire, if you grow a wide variety you will always have a few to cut and bring indoors.
Roses are easy to grow and with proper mulching only need to be deep watered a few times a week.


Feed them with a handful of Bone and Blood Meal, add a dash of Epsom Salts and a bit of Kelp Meal. You now have my organic recipe for healthy roses. When you are walking through your Rose Garden sometimes you will see some black spot or mold, I always pull the leaves off at the stem and throw them in the garbage, not the compost pile. A new leaf will grow back fairly quickly and as tempting as a quick fix may seem, poisons do not reverse the damage.



I have always believed that organic gardening mixed with common sense is the way to go. Once in a while I will see an overabundance of Aphids, my remedy is to go to the Nursery Center and purchase a box or two of Ladybugs, I release them at sunset. The Ladybugs have a great time feasting on the aphids, and I think they are oh so sweet!
In January I wrote an article about my favorite Roses. Click on this link to read "A Few of my Favorites" If you have not read this article you will learn quite a bit about the romantic history of the Rose and the many different varieties that are available and even more tips on successful Rose growing techniques.
Roses are fun and easy to grow so do yourself a favor and plant some in your garden. Yummm you will not be disappointed.

No comments: