Thursday, June 26, 2008

Flowers in the House, Tips & Tricks...


Flowers, I cannot imagine a world without them. They bring a sense of grace and beauty into our homes. Flowers are ever changing and can set a tone or mood for any room in the house. My favorite thing about fresh cut flowers is it is super easy to pop into a vase and keep fresh for up to a week. The trick is to process your flowers before you put them into a vase.
1.Consider your vase or vessel. Make sure that the flowers are to scale in relationship to the vase. A good rule of thumb is this, large flowers need a large vase and small flowers will need a smaller one.
2.Remove all of the lower leaves from each stem, this will help to keep decomposing leaves from fouling up the water.





3.Give each stem a fresh cut. Remember they may have been cut several days before you brought them home and oftentimes the stem will seal itself off and not take in water, the fresh cut allows the water to travel freely up the stem.
4.Add a few drops of bleach to your water. This will keep your water fresh for the week.

5.A few things to remember: Fragrant flowers are best put into rooms that are not used for eating or sleeping IE:Bedrooms, Kitchens and Dining Rooms. The fragrance can interfere with the flavor of food and can cause headaches in a closed room. Below I have compiled a list of some of my favorite fragrant flowers and some of my favorite not so fragrant flowers.

6.Top Pick, fragrant flowers: Hyacinth, Lilies, Roses, Freesia's, Lilac's, Peonies, Carnation's, Lavender and Tuberose.

7.Top Pick, not so fragrant flowers: Hydrangea, Calla Lilies, Gerbera Daisies, Daisies, Statice, Bells of Ireland, Campanula, Tulips, Orchids, Alstromeria, Lisianthus and Liatris.

I love to create different arrangements in my home every week. Sometimes a loved one sends me or brings me flowers, other weeks I will stop at a local Farmer's Market or Trader Joe's and spend between 10-20$. Dollar for dollar it is cheaper than going out for a meal and lasts much longer.Oh yes, it brings me many moments of joy, every day!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

remember to stop and smell the roses LOVE FERDINAND